Game-Day is always the best day of the week! Taking care of your body before the game prepares you to show up with energy, intensity, and focus. To optimize your performance on the field, be sure to follow the tips below:
- Get 8 - 9 hours of sleep the night before your game - A good night’s rest prepares you physically and mentally for competition.
- Hydrate immediately - Drink 2 cups of water as soon as you wake up to rehydrate your body, fuel your muscles, and protect your joints.
- Fuel your body with a solid breakfast - 3 hours prior to your game, fuel your body with the right foods. Choose a whole grain, protein, and fruit for optimal nutrition. Some examples are:
- Whole grain waffles, peanut butter, and blueberries
- Yogurt parfait - yogurt, fruit, and granola
- Scrambled eggs, whole grain toast, and banana
Fuel your body even if it's last minute - If you’re running out the door for an early game, it’s still important to fuel appropriately. Choose easy-to-digest carbs for energy and to avoid cramping on the field. Some examples are:
- Banana with peanut butter
- ½ bagel
- Applesauce pouch
- Pack your water bottle - Water is always the best choice to rehydrate. If you’re planning on being out on the field for over an hour or you are playing in extreme temperatures, bring a sports drink with electrolytes in addition to your water bottle.
- Refuel after - Intense exercise depletes your body of essential nutrients. Refuel within 30 minutes of your game with easy-to-pack snacks like:
- Nature Valley protein bar
- Chocolate milk
- Trail Mix
Healthy Game-Day Checklist - Summary
- Get 8-9 hours of sleep the night before your game
- Hydrate immediately by drinking 2 cups of water when you wake up
- Fuel your body with breakfast or snacks depending on game start time
- Pack your water bottle and plan to drink often
- Refuel within 30 minutes of the game ending with carb/protein balanced snacks